|Article||Science & Speculation|
|Deaths caused||One Sixer; Dr. Jonathan Guagenti; a number of Phoenix personnel; Weaver|
|Episode Appearances||"Genesis: Part 2", "What Remains", "Resistance"|
In Terra NovaEdit
In "Genesis", two Carnotaurus attacked a group of Sixers as they headed towards the compound. The Sixers were allowed by Commander Taylor to enter Terra Nova in order to escape from the Carnotaurus. After Jim, Taylor, and the Sixers were safely inside the walls of the compound, Taylor ordered for sonic blasts to be directed at the pursuing Carnotaurus in order to drive them away.
In the episode "Instinct", Casey Durwin offers to sell Josh Shannon a guitar. When Josh refuses, he offers to throw in a pick he claims he "painstakingly carved from a carno's tooth". When Josh sees that Casey has no legs, Casey informs him that the tooth was not from the Carnotaurus that took away his legs.
In the episode "What Remains", a member of the Science Team stationed at Outpost 3, Dr. Jonathan Guagenti, became infected with a virus that caused memory loss. He wandered outside the facility after becoming disoriented while chasing a green beetle, right into the path of a Carnotaurus. He was then eaten by the dinosaur, which left only his feet and boots.
Carnotaurus can run extremely fast, easily fast enough to keep up with the halftracks used by colonists and Sixers. They sometimes attack in pairs, a pair of them being seen attacking Sixers in "Genesis: Part 2".
- Carnotaurus was the first carnivorous theropod dinosaur seen in the series.
- Different skin patterns are seen on the two Carnotaurus in the pilot, suggesting male and female.
- They are nicknamed "carnos" by the series' characters.
- Carnotaurus is Latin for "meat-eating bull".
- This dinosaur was unusually fast, even using its tail for propulsion. This seems to be accurate, as Carnotaurus is believed to have been one of the fastest dinosaurs.
- In the episode "Proof" a small Carnotaurus's skull was shown on the table in the Research Laboratory, though it's not known whether it was the skull of a baby or just a small model (similar small skulls belonging to what appear to be Parasaurolophus and Torosaurus also appear on the table in that episode).
Genesis: Part 2